This is a tasty breakfast for everyday because it is so fast to whip up. The people of Gujarat and Southern India love this dish so much that it is served as a staple daily.
Cooking Preparation Time: 25 Minutes
Cream of Wheat
Green Chili, minced
Salt to taste
How to Prepare:
Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
Roast mustard seeds,
urad dal, curry leaves green chili. Add cream of wheat (called suji) and roast until golden brown. Do not overcook.
Add salt, turmeric and corn.
Mix water and yogurt together. Gently stir yogurt water into mixture.
Stir well so it does not form any lumps.
Let it cook for 3 minutes over low heat.
To garnish, add some chopped cilantro leaves at the bottom of the bowl.
Now pour the cooked upama into the bowl. Gently press.
Flip over onto a plate.
If desired serve with cilantro chutney.
Tips: Cream of wheat uses less water. Suji from the Indian Grocery store sometimes uses little bit more water. Adjust water accordingly.
This entry was posted in
Gujarati Food, Indian Food, Quick Recipes, South Indian Food, Vegan and tagged Breakfast, cream of wheat, suji, upama, urad dal, Yogurt on . June 2, 2015
Organic Soy Yogurt
Homemade Soy Yogurt
My friend Debbie is a huge believer in plant-based foods. As a Vegan, she was missing probiotics in her diet. When she found out about my blog she requested I make Pure soy yogurt at home. Supermarkets have many flavors, but add sugar to their soy yogurt, so for optimum healthiness, you should make it at home.
What You Need
2 cup Organic unsweetened soy milk
1 count store bought organic soy yogurt plain( Whole Soy & Co)
1 Heavy pot or glass microwave container
Three Easy Steps to Make yogurt:
1. Boil the milk either on the stove or in a microwave.
2. Let it cool down enough that that you can hold your finger in the milk for twenty seconds.
3. Add two heaping spoonfuls of soy yogurt to boiled milk. Whisk evenly so yogurt mixes properly. Pour into individual jar with tight lid.
4. Let it sit undisturbed in regular oven with lights on for six to eight hours.
5. Once it sets, refrigerate for a few hours to make it firm.
Enjoy with fresh fruit.