This week we’ve got something special for you. Guest chef Mintu Shah passed on this great recipe for zucchini bread.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 60 minutes
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups flour, sifted (I used 2 cups wheat bread flour and 1 cup all purpose)
- 2 cups zucchini ( shredded or tossed lightly through blender..chopped VERY small. I shredded mine)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 3/4 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt (I used a cup of Trader Joes Vanilla Greek yogurt)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease ONLY the bottoms of two loaf pans.
- Measure yogurt into a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Add sugar and blend until creamy and slightly thick approx 2-3 minutes.
- Add oil and blend through.
- Add zucchini and vanilla and stir until mixed through. (I added chocolate chips to my batch at this step- about 1/2 bag)
- Sift flour in a medium bowl and add cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder & soda, and salt to it.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients a little at a time.
- Mix slowly with whisk.
- Fold ingredients into each other just until nicely combined.
- Pour’batter’ into loaf pans, and put into oven.
- Bake for 1 hour (60 minutes) and check to see if it is done (knife poked through center should come clean when done).
- If it is not done, continue to bake for additional time.
- It could take between an hour and an hour and a half to bake completely. (Mine took about this long to bake)
If you want to make this recipe vegan, substitute apple sauce for the yogurt.