Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: Approximately 1 Hour
- 2 Cups Lentils
- 1 Cup Dried (not canned) Chickpeas
- 1 Head of Lettuce (washed and chopped – can be mixed with romaine for extra nutrition)
- 1 Bunch Parsley
- 1-3 Green Chili Peppers (or Jalapeños)
- 1 Small Fresh Ginger
- 4-5 Cloves of Peeled Garlic
- 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds
Wash lentil and chickpeas very thoroughly and check for stones.
How to Prepare:
- Soak lentil and chickpeas for at least three hours in warm water.
- Cut and chop parsley, green chili, ginger, and fresh garlic.
- Add salt, cumin, coriander seeds, and red pepper flakes.
- Grind all of ingredients together to make a batter.
- Heat the oil on medium in a frying pan.
- Make small balls from batter and us a teaspoon to drop them into hot oil.
- Once fried, the falafel balls/patties are ready for the sandwich.
Sauce recipes below:
- 1 Bunch Cilantro (washed & chopped)
- 2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 Cup Cucumber (chopped garden or seedless)
- 1 Small Ginger and Chili (to your taste)
- 1 Cup Sour Cream or Drained Yogurt or Garlic Cucumber Dressing with Buttermilk (from store)
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 3-5 Cloves Garlic
Blend all ingredients together. Now your green sauce is ready for the Falafel sandwich.
|4-5||Cloves||Fresh Peeled Garlic|
|1||Red Hot Chili or Red Bell Pepper (for mild taste)|
|Salt to taste|
|10||Oz.||Tomato Sauce Can|
|2||TBsp||Red Pepper Flakes|
Blend all ingredients together. Your red spicy or mild sauce is ready for you.
- Pita pockets are very tasty and come in a variety of flavors. I either pop them in the toaster and or warm them at 200º in a toaster oven until till they puff up.
- Usually I mix two different kind of lettuce: Romaine and head lettuce.
- Top everything off with 3-4 washed and cubed tomatoes.
I am pretty sure you will enjoy this dish over and over again. I also enjoy Baba Ganoush, Hummus, and Parsley Salad with Tahini and Spicy Garlic Sauce. Because of my culinary curiosity, I always come home to my kitchen and make these things with my selected ingredients.