Healthy Grains: Millet Roti
Recently when I was visiting Tampa, Florida I had a experience of watching hands on “How to Make Bajra – (Black millet) Roti old fashioned way.”
Healthy, Gluten Free, and Vegan!
Millet roti is healthy, gluten free, and vegan. Millet is easily digestible and contains many beneficial nutrients. It is packed with protein and high amounts of fiber.
I make all different kinds of rotis at my home. Usually I make whole wheat rotis (watch Video of How to Make Roti). Since all grains are healthy for you I thought this specialty Bajra Ki Roti will be interesting for my readers. It is also called pearl millet. It is naturally a gluten free grain making it more palatable for gluten intolerance.
Home maker Tarlika Patel is a great chef and has master the art of making Bajra Ki Roti. She use her hands to flatten each roti and her pan is not non-stick but a clay pan. Best part of her cooking is each roti puffs up – which is why she is so talented.
Here is a step by step recipe of how you can make Bajra Ki Roti like Tarlika.
Prep time: 5 minutes
cook time 20 minutes
- 2 cups bajra/pearl millet flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour omit wheat flour for Gluten free
- 1 cup warm water as needed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp clear butter or ghee or vegan spread
How to Make:
1. Take two cups of flour in a flat pan.
2. Add wheat flour. Omit to make Gluten free.
3. Add salt.
4. Add warm water as needed to make a dough.
5. Divide dough into equal portions.
6. She uses her hands to flatten the rotis between her palms.
7. As you can see this is clay skillet she is using to cook the rotis.
8. Heat the clay skillet on high heat.
9. Gently place flatten roti on hot skillet or griddle.
10. watch it carefully so it does not get burnt. Once coked flip it upside down.
11. Let it cook on other side.
12. Slowly it will puff up.
13. Apply clear butter or ghee or vegan spread of your choice
Serve it with onion subji and best it goes with garlic chutney.
Enjoy and Special Thanks to Tarlika Patel for sharing this amazing healthy recipe with us!
Tips: Millet roti is easy to make for us too. All we have to do instead of hands only we can use Saran wrap to roll roti.
Non stick skillet can be used to cook roti on the stove top.