|Raw Green Mangoes with Homemade Pickle|
Mouth-watering pickles are a must all over India. Pickles are the comfort food of rich and poor alike. There are many different varieties that are readily available all over America and around the world. Sweet ones are mild in flavor with a tangy taste and have their own place within a meal. Spicy, salty, tart and tangy are very common flavors. I just love the taste of khatta achar which means "sour pickle."
A meal is not a meal without "achar" which means "pickle." Here is a quick recipe of Aam Ka Achar which means Mango Pickle.
|1||Small||Raw or Green Mango|
|1||Tsp||Achar Masala (pickle) to taste|
|1||Tsp||Mustard Oil or Vegetable Oil|
- Wash the mango and dry it.
- Cut the mangoes into cubes. Small cubes will work better.
- In a jar place all the cut mangoes.
- Add achar masala and mix together.
- With a spoon, squeeze all of the pieces down into the jar so there is no air.
- Now pour in 2 tbsp of mustard oil so it covers the pieces.
- Stir it twice daily, once in the morning and once at night.
- Leave it outside for two days.
- Then refrigerate in a airtight container.
- The Pickle should last at least for few weeks.
Easy to make and my favorite with khicahdi!
- Achar masla is made of fenugreek seed powder, salt, red chili powder and oil. It should also be available at Indian grocery stores near you.
- Oil and masala can be added according to taste.
|Raw mango pickle with crunchy mathi|
Health Benefits of Mangos
Improves Concentration and Memory Power
For Treating Acne
High Iron for Women
Prevents Cancer and Heart diseases
Let me know what you think by leaving a comment!
I love to hear from my readers!